Monday, April 02, 2012

A Moment of Motivation

Happy April Everyone!


While I am on the continuous topic of "change",  I believe there is no other month that should have the label "change" next to it then April.  It is a month filled with upcoming spring weather, students college decision letters being received, and of course, my one and only brother's birthday (April 14th).  However,  more importantly, I would like to share with you one of my most achieved moments in my life.  While most would say, graduating high school or getting promoted at your dream job, (props to you if this happened) I personally would say, starting a movement at my very own college.  


I go to Burlington County College, (which by the way, is ranked the #1 community college in New Jersey) and to tell you the truth, I absolutely love it and I could tell you a 100 different reasons why, but we'll get into that another day.  


December of 2010 I came up with an idea to start a "LGBT AWARENESS WEEK" at my college, which involved eye-opening statistics, inspirational speeches by keynote speakers, and many exciting activities  (read this to get the details of how I started it in a article I wrote for the BCC newsletter).  When I confronted 2 other friends of mine with the idea, they were totally down.  After planning for 4 months, April was just around the corner and there it was staring at us right in the face before we even knew it.  Everything that we had done prior was finally coming together for "LGBT awareness week".  


While last year was great and all,  the numbers of supporters were against us, and was upsetting in the least.  This year, I brought up the idea again, and it was an even bigger hit then last year!  I have had so many people come up to me, people I do not even know, and ask me: "How do I help plan for the LGBT awareness week?"  That simple question, in all seriousness, melted my heart.  In my eyes, they were asking me: "How do I help the campus come together and shine the light on what the LGBT population faces every day?"  That to me, is one of the greatest things that I could ever ask for.


It is so inspiring, in which I can not even put into words.   It is so inspiring to see so many people come together and help support and plan in this week.  We have come so far from last year in the progress, that hopefully someday in the future the whole college will be involved!  This year Burlington County College's LGBT AWARENESS WEEK will be held from April 16th-20th, and will conclude on Friday with the National Day of Silence.  Come check it out and these other great events!

OTHER UPCOMING CHARITABLE EVENTS IN APRIL:

Green Your School Challenge      Sponsered by: Dosomething.org      Date: Feb. 1st - April 22

The Water Games                         Sponsered by: Dosomething.org      Date: March 19th-April 13


A Day Without Shoes                    Sponsered by: Tom's Shoes            Date: April 12th 2012


Pet Health Block Party                 Sponsered by: ASPCA                      Date: April 17th, 2012

The KONY Project                        Sponsered by: Invisible Children     Date: April 20th, 2012

1 comment:

  1. Very proud of you cousin, keep it up and you may just change the world.

    ReplyDelete