Friday, April 06, 2012

4,400

This number is not relating to people who do not vote, hoard cats or even drop out of school.  This number is a statistic of how many "young people" commit suicide per year, because they were bullied.  It is outrageous in 1,000 different languages, and it is completely unnecessary.  The only question to really ask is ....why?


While being young and having a "childhood" is suppose to be the best time of your life for many, its not.  Going to prom, getting their drivers license, and winning State Champs for the soccer team, would normally be on any teenagers priority list, and it should.  However for some, it is these victims least concern.  Whereas for them, the idea of simply going to school is haunting.  

So what gives me the right to talk on behalf of all of these bullied victims?
Well, I use to be one of them.
 


I was in Elementary school, 5th and 6th grade.  I was care-free and curious, but most of all, I was hopeful.  I was hopeful that the next day wouldn't be like today, which was a continuous thought.  However, that "hope" dwindled down little by little with every school day that passed by.  I remember walking to the school bus,  and thinking to myself: "today will be a great day if I don't get bullied."  I didn't know what I wanted out of life, I was only a young girl going through grammer school, but i did know one thing....
                                       I just wanted to fit in.
 



I wasn't your tyical "pretty girl".  I had a perm of big wavy curls that was bigger then my head, glasses that could compare to chicken little's and braces that could hold and entire familys dinner in them.  Attractive huh? 


I got it all, the typical four eyes, brace face, and frizz ball, were all daily rituals when going to school, and it hurt. It hurt hard, every single day.  An although I must say, I did not get a percentage of abuse other kids may encounter, I still felt the same feeling of being rejected and not "fitting it". 


It blows my mind.  It blows my mind that one single person, can indirectly take someone's life.  The thought of a innocent 12 year old waking up every day and being afriad to live their life is one of the many reasons why I am such an advocate when it comes to bullying.  To me, a voice is one of the most powerful weapons that anyone can have.  Stronger then a gun or a knife, your voice has meaning.  You just have to use it for good. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment