Saturday, April 14, 2012

Not your average day at the salon

Hello my fellow followers!

The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it is absolutely beautiful outside.  But nothing is more beautiful then making someones' day.  This past Thursday April 12th, I was part of the Dress for Sucess show at Burlington County College hosted by the Career Services department.  The point of the show is to show other students how you are suppose to dress during an interview, what to say, and what NOT to put on your resume.  All of these important facts are trying to help students prepare for the "workforce". 

All of the volunteers for the "Dress for Sucess" show, like myself.  Are treated to a brand new suite, a new pairy of dressy shoes, and a full makeover including hair and makeup.  On this day,  I went to get my hair done at Rizzeria salon and spa in Voorhees, NJ not knowing that I would be holding on to a rubber band filled with hair and a smile that would not leave my face.

As the 12th "to do" on my bucket list, I wanted to donate my hair.  However, I must say I was hesitate at first, until I got a little push from the director of the Career Services dept at BCC and my friends who were in the show with me.  As I sat in the salon chair at Rizzeria, I was scared to see 10 inches of my hair be cut off, but wouldn't any girl?  Deep down though, I knew thats what I wanted, and at the end of the day...its just hair, right?  

After was all said and done, the next thing I knew one of the students at the salon was coming up to me in tears and told me how much it meaned to her that she had donated my hair.  The next thing she said stopped my heart for a moment.  She continued to tell me how she just overcame a brain tumor, where she lost all of her hair.  To us, it is just hair, but to others its security, confidence, and beauty. 

I will remember that day forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment